- Location: Sarratt 325/327
Training 1.0: Exploring Cultural Competency
This session purposefully focuses on everyday human interactions across similar and different identities, privileges, cultures, and experiences. Through intentional dialogue and engaging activities, participants develop a shared vocabulary for intercultural communication and start the critical work of reflecting on identity. The session enables participants to recognize their existing strengths, individually and collectively, and to transform the spaces in which we live, work, and learn into more welcoming spaces for all.
Key concepts: cultural competence, microaggressions, inclusive language
- Define “cultural competence” and explain its significance to our everyday lives.
- Identify common microaggressions and productive ways to respond.
- Communicate effectively about and across difference through the understanding and use of inclusive language.
- Practice ongoing self-reflection and self-education towards cultural competence.
For more information visit our website:https://www.vanderbilt.edu/iicc/education/
We ask that you register at least 48 hours in advance. Register for this training here:https://anchorlink.vanderbilt.edu/submitter/form/start/136619