Thursday, November 09, 2017,
- Location: Sarratt 325/327
Specialty Training: Navigating Difficult Conversations
This session promotes awareness of self, group dynamics, and broader societal contexts when engaging in difficult conversations about issues related to diversity and inclusion. Participants share their concerns and challenges in having these conversations, strengthen their intercultural and interpersonal communication skills, and solidify their commitment to embracing difference in all forms. As a result, participants discover opportunities for additional learning and continued self-education towards increased cultural competency.
Key concepts: self-awareness, intent and impact, connecting across difference
- Examine our own behaviors, processes, and experiences in having difficult conversations.
- Differentiate between “intent” and “impact.”
- Prepare for difficult conversations with strategies for connecting and learning across difference.
- Practice ongoing self-reflection and self-education towards cultural competence.
You can find more information on our website: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/iicc/education/
We ask that you register at least 48 hours in advance. Register for this training here: https://anchorlink.vanderbilt.edu/submitter/form/start/137729