Monday, September 18, 2017,
- Location: Rand Hall - downstairs dining area
- OACS will host an event called Politics, Music, and the Constitution as part of Vanderbilt’s Constitution Day activities
- Monday, September 18th, 2:30-4:30, Rand dining area
- Prof. Korn will speak on the origin of 12-string Guitar Blues and its relationship to the equal rights components of the Constitution: Jim Crow and mass incarceration/Angola Prison Farm as a particularly cruel example. Prof. Korn will also perform on the 12-string.
- Kathryn Speckles, Amber Arquitola and Vandy Spoken Word will DJ and perform a set of politically-relevant/topical songs, providing the entertainment and also part of the educational focus of the day’s activities.
- Students will be invited to write their poetry or song lyrics that are meaningful to them, politically, on a large sheet of paper which we will then photograph as an art installation
- Students will be invited to submit their own songs for play, or to perform themselves if time allows